Today I sewed. I made what most folks would call a tunic. I did it in only a few hours. I must admit, I’m pretty impressed with myself.
The pattern I actually used was modified from a pourpoint pattern by Tasha Dandelion Kelly. I wanted a simple tunic to wear under the more proper pourpoint I made for longsword use. I like the pourpoint pattern, because it allows for a lot of flexibility in the arms and shoulders, but is otherwise very well fitted. I modified it by removing the lacing or button closure of the front.
I was in a hurry. I need this tunic for Halloween, which is only two days away.
I had some linen that I had found at a second-hand store. It was actually drapes at some point, but hey, pure linen! And in a period-appropriate color.
At about 7:20 pm I started cutting fabric. The pourpoint pattern has lots of parts. I thought I might try to omit some, but in the end did the whole thing.
After cutting the fabric, I put my son to bed and got my daily workout in. Then, at around 9:00, I headed upstairs to where the sewing machine is.
And I sewed.
I roughed the body together.
Then pinned the sleeves.
Once that was done it was only the finishing steps, which included hemming the bottom, doing something with the neckline, and shortening the sleeves.
The final product is something I’m quite pleased with.
Not too shabby for only a few hours work. I’m pretty happy with this and it’ll be exactly what I wanted: A simple tunic to wear over hose or something, to look period (14th century) and still be really comfortable. I just need to stick a belt over it, and I’m good to go!