Oh, now this is fun. The Kickin’ it Old Skool Blog-a-thon is asking about colors.
I’m most impressed by how people perceive colors differently. Don’t believe me? Ask someone in turquoise is a shade of green or blue.
[ RED ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of red? – Honestly, I often think of heraldry and coats of arms. A golden lion on a red field.
- Closest red thing to you? – I have a red pen right here in front of me. This doesn’t bode well for my students.
- What is the last thing that made you angry? – Life’s annoyances can make me pretty angry. I usually recover pretty quickly, thankfully. Yesterday, I was angry at my son for laying in the middle of the kitchen floor and refusing to move. I was also angry at my husband for failing to mention to me that our septic tank had overflowed and flooded the yard. I’m over it now.
- Are you a fan of romance? – I don’t read romance novels. I am a romantic though. I may have accidentally started writing a book series that involves a love story, on top of a huge war.
- Do you have a temper? – Blarg. Yeah. I generally have a long fuse, but when I blow, it’s ugly. Only a few students have seen ‘Angry Penny.’ They don’t like it.
[ GREEN ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of green? – I immediately think of grass and forested glens. Ah!
- Closest green thing to you? – I have a green stapler and bright green tape on my desk.
- What’s your favourite green environment? – Any place outside, so long as it’s warm.
- Are you jealous of anyone right now? – Sometimes, I envy people who seem calm and collected and look like they have it together. Then I realize that I look that way to a lot of people. Can’t say I’m jealous right now, but I could stand to have a few days off.
- Are you a lucky person? – People make their own luck. I guess I’m lucky to know that.
[ PURPLE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of purple? – I think of velvet.
- Closest purple thing to you? – Well, what do you want to call purple? I have a stuffed squid right behind me. Or just a lame purple clipboard.
- Do you like being treated like royalty? – Yes, for a while. Then it gets dull. Let me do something for myself, please.
- Do you like mysterious things? – I’m a scientist. Doesn’t that mean that by default I like mysterious things? I like mysterious things so long as I’m pretty sure they won’t kill me.
- Are you intuitive? – I’ve been accused of this. I’ve learned that my gut feeling about things (like why won’t the mass spectrometer work) is right, but I never believe myself.
[ BLUE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of blue? – The sky.
- Closest blue thing to you? – There’s this credit card right in front of me. Maybe I should go shopping.
- Are you good at calming people down? – Not always. It depends upon the scenario. I’m terrible at calming myself down.
- What’s your favourite body of water (i.e. lake, ocean, etc)? – Hmm. So long as the water is warm, I’m not sure I care. Ok, maybe I’m not fond of the Dead Sea. Lake Ontario makes for some nice snow!
- What was the last thing that made you cry? – *hangs head in shame* A YouTube video. I’ve also cried while writing my own book.
- Are you a logical thinker? – I think so, though at certain times of the month or year, emotion really drives my thinking.
[ YELLOW ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of yellow? – The warm sunny-sun!
- Closest yellow thing to you? – Let’s see… A highlighter. A SlimJim wrapper. Note paper. And a big smiley-face pen holder!
- What was one of the happiest times of your life? – There was that one wedding thing…
- What’s your favourite holiday? – It changes every year, but I am a big fan of Independence Day (July 4th) because it’s warm and they blow things up!
- What makes you happy? – Quiet, solitude, and a completed to-do list.
[ PINK ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of pink? – Barbie dolls – which irritates me.
- Closest pink thing to you? – Geez, is there anything pink in here? Oh! The flowers my son made for me all those years ago!
- What sweet things do you like? – Soft sugary candies like Smarties. Not so much chocolate. I’m strange that way.
- Are you sensitive? – Perhaps overly so…
- What is your favourite flower? – I like the ones of many parts, like strawflowers. Intricacy and unusual shapes always catch my eye.
- Does you have a crush on someone? – Yes. An actor. I’ll never meet him. That’s fine.
[ ORANGE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of orange? – Pumpkins, Halloween, and the harvest.
- Closest orange thing to you? – There’s orange tape all over my desk, holding my calendar down.
- Do you dress up for Halloween? – Every year! I trick-or-treat in costume with my son.
- What gives you the warm fuzzies? – Feel good movies and videos on YouTube. Then I cry.
- What would your superpower be? – I would stop time, so I could actually accomplish all the things I want to do.
[ BROWN ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of brown? – Winter and rotting wood.
- Closest brown thing to you? – This desk has a wood-grain veneer.
- What is your favourite type of chocolate? – Not a big fan of chocolate, alas, at least not straight-up. You can get me to eat milk chocolate.
- What makes you feel grounded? – The wind in my face and bare earth at my feet.
- Paint the wood or always leave it au naturel? – Bare, or stained and varnished wood is the best.
[ WHITE ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of white? – Snow naturally.
- Closest white thing to you? – I’m in my office. There’s white papers all over. A name tag. Labels. And a random bottle of ibuprofen.
- Do you always try to keep the peace? – I do. I don’t like fighting and much of what people fight over is really not that big of a thing. It’s all ‘First World Problems’ around here. I do admit that I nag though. I need to do less of that.
- Do you like to play in the snow? – Not as much now as I used to, because snow is really a mark of more work for me. We can get as much as two feet of snow in a single storm around here. Even more. We got 53 inches from one storm (it lasted about four days). But when I have the chance and the snow’s just right, I’ll do crazy things like make a snow sphinx.
- Are you afraid of going to the doctors or dentist? – I have anxiety. And I hate going to the doctor and to the dentist. Luckily, all of the health care professionals I work with are good people. I survive. Sometimes I put off appointments longer than I should. But in the end, I always come away knowing that my fears were unfounded.
[ BLACK ]
- What’s the first thing you think of when you think of black? – Space. You know, the final frontier.
- Closest black thing to you? – My wallet is sitting open on my desk here. It’s black. Why is my wallet sitting here?
- Are you sophisticated or silly? – Silly. Very, very silly. But serious when needed.
- Do you have a lot of secrets? – There are secrets, sure, but I probably share more with people than they really want to know.
- What’s the new black? – Heh. You’re asking the wrong person! I’m stuck in blue jeans.